2013 was such a wonderful year for us, but we’ve narrowed down a list of ten of our best accomplishments for the year. Thank you for all you’ve done to support us in reaching these goals. Here’s to hoping next year’s list is just as wonderful!
1. Our first ever board-sponsored trip to Uganda for two board members!
Board members, Molly Heineman and Beth Lampson, were sponsored by CROSO to visit Uganda for two weeks in August 2013. During their visit, they had the chance to meet with ALL of our current CROSO Scholars, visit two of their universities, meet with staff of our partner organization, C.R.O., and to take tons of photos.
2. Two more CROSO Scholars GRADUATED!!!
Otukei Godfrey Francis (left) graduated with his diploma in Clinical Medicine from Kampala International University- Western Campus on December 17, 2013.
Okolis John (right) graduated with his bachelor’s degree from Uganda Christian University in Economics and Management on November 1, 2013.
3. CROSO was chosen as the District 219 Dance Marathon charity recipient for the 2013-2014 academic year!
4. We had more individuals/families commit to sponsoring students individually in 2013 than ever before!
This year, we had three families step up and agree to sponsor students from start to finish of their 3 year academic careers! We also had two families agree to sponsor students for one full year. Both of these commitments allowed us to take on more students this year.
5. The CROSO Liaison Project was launched in January of 2013 and has successfully increased communication between board members and students and has also improved CROSO’s ability to respond to the needs of our students.
Each of our CROSO Scholars are assigned an email pen pal on the CROSO board so that we are able to more effectively connect with our scholars and support them better. This leads to a greater familiarity among our board of the issues our scholars face and also leads to board members advocating for their scholars’ needs.
6. We have FIVE new CROSO Scholars this year!
Click here to learn more about them!
7. CROSO has a new website design!
One of the two founders of GovDesign, a start-up webdesign company, has been a longtime supporter of CROSO and offered their services pro bono! We are very grateful to GovDesign for their donation of time and energy and for making out new website clean, organized and easy to navigate!
8. CROSO’s first Zumbathon was a great success!
To acknowledge the International Day for Street Children, CROSO hosted our first Zumbathon! We raised over $1,000 and had a great time sweating to the beat for the children on the street!
9. We had great media coverage and opportunities to spread the word about CROSO in 2013!
- 2 Board Members (Lisa Monnot and Tom Bertsche) were interviewed on Live from the Heartland:
- Skokie Review Article in September 2013 wrote about CROSO’s trip to Uganda in August.
- Participated in the Project 4 Awesome for the first time and had a chance to share CROSO’s mission!
10. Over 400 people “Like” CROSO’s Facebook page!
If you aren’t one of the 400, it’s not too late!