The CROSO Board of Directors is seeking applicants for a part-time (approximately 0.5 FTE) Executive Director. This individual will assist the board members with carrying out the mission of CROSO by cultivating donors, providing leadership and management, communicating to stakeholders and potential donors, and assisting in the planning and directing of the business of the organization. Eligible candidates should prepare a cover letter, resume, and references and send them to board member David Blumenthal at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday, November 15, 2015. A full description of the position is below.
Mission: CROSO is dedicated to making possible the transformation of Ugandan communities by providing post-secondary education scholarships to Child Restoration Outreach (C.R.O.) youth.
CROSO (Child Restoration Outreach Support Organization) is a non-profit that supplements the foundational work of C.R.O. (Child Resotraton Outreach). C.R.O. is a non-governmental organization in Uganda that offers alternatives to Ugandan street children including food, social services, and financial support for primary and secondary level education. CROSO works to ensure an educational future for C.R.O. supported students who have successfully completed secondary school, and been accepted into a university or technical school program.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for CROSO’s programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. S/he will work to grow the resources that go towards scholars supported by CROSO; plan and carry out activities; and support the volunteers and members of the Board of Directors.
- Actively engage and support the donors and volunteers of CROSO, board members, event committees, and partnering organizations
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to include individual appeals, grants, and other sources of revenue from individuals and organizations to support existing and future program operations
- Expand relationships with partnering individuals, organizations, and corporations with an emphasis on the scholars supported by CROSO
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
Leadership & Management
- Ensure programmatic excellence, program evaluation, and consistent high quality of administration, fundraising, and communications; recommend resources and timelines necessary to achieve the strategic goals of the organization
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio member of each committee (except ad hoc and those pertaining to executive compensation), seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both domestic activities and those taking place in Uganda
- Provides for the recruitment, supervision, direction, and training of volunteers to support events, committees, and other opportunities as needed
- Create and maintain communication with partner organizations, including C.R.O. and others in both the United States and Uganda
- Ensure communication between scholars and liaisons remains consistent and timely
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications, including the website, social media, print media, audio/visual, and personal communications with current and future donors
Planning & Business
- Communicate program results to the Board of Directors and maintain accurate donor records and detailed plans of activities
- Host meetings of the Board of Directors, including sending out an agenda prior to meetings, ensuring accurate notes are taken during the meeting, and that board members and volunteers are aware of next steps and action items between meetings
- Maintains accurate financial records and conducts fiduciary responsibilities including management of CROSO accounts, documentation of expenses, and produces regular budgets and financial reports as requested by the Board, funders, and others as needed
The ED will be thoroughly committed to the mission of CROSO. Candidates should have leadership, vision, and management experience. Demonstrable experience and other qualifications should include:
- College degree, at least a Bachelor’s with a Master’s preferred, with a track record of effectively leading an organization and bringing programs to scale; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken the organization to a higher level of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach volunteers and committee and board members; set and achieve strategic objectives; and manage a budget
- Knowledge of Ugandan cultural and political institutions, especially higher education, and its people
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, innovative, and culturally sensitive
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers, board members, and diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed